Use a long grain rice but not necessarily and expensive one. Here is a simple way to make pilau but to get it right you have to get the right ingredients and the most important one being the pilau masala.
Nutrition: per serving
|Pilau: Delicious and super easy. Good depth of flavor.|
Ingredients:⏩1 Large Onion(Finely Chopped).
⏩2-3 Garlic cloves(Crushed and chopped).
⏩Small piece Root Ginger (Chopped).
⏩3 Tbs Pilau Masala (or according to taste). Depending on which pilau masala brand you use, you may need to adjust the amount on my recipe.
⏩¹/₂ Kg Boneless Beef(tender and cut in small pieces).
⏩4 Tomatoes(diced very small) Blended gives better results.
⏩2 Cups Rice.
⏩3 Cups Hot Water.
⏩Salt to taste.
⏩Tomato paste (optional) Do not use together with tomatoes (it's not necessary).
- Cook the onion and ginger on a medium heat with a suitable pan/pot and allow to brown. The browning is the trick to a nice pilau.
- Add the meat and cook till its almost ready while pan/pot is covered. It should take about 3 min if the meat is tender and if not keep cooking till the meat is softened.
- Add the pilau masala powder, salt, and stir. If the meat has dried out, add a little water to prevent the meat from sticking.
- Allow cooking then add the finely diced tomato. (If you can blend the tomatoes it would give you better results).
- When using diced tomatoes add a little water to ensure the tomato is cooked and you have a thick sauce before you add the rice.
- Add the rice and stir and ensure it's all mixed up.
- Add the water. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer and slowly cook while covered.
- After about 5 minutes of cooking, give the rice a stir and cover. Repeat this while the rice is still wet and it's just to ensure all the rice cooks evenly and doesn't stick on the bottom.
- Rice is cooked after about 13 minutes depending on the rice type and if it has dried up before its cooked, add a little water to steam it till cooked but not mashy!
- Now try preparing your own and if you get this right you should be able to enjoy your pilau and since it is a dry dish by itself, complement it with a salad on the side.