With the competitive & busy lives we lead today, anxiety, tension and stress are almost inevitable. Besides the busy life, a few are prone to anxiety & nervousness by nature than the others.
There are several factors causing this issue such as disturbed sleep, depression, nutritional deficiencies, adrenal disorders, nicotine, thyroid disorders and being on certain medications.
Common symptoms of anxiety
Following are few symptoms of anxiety:
· Constant state of nervousness/ worry
· Shortness of breath
· Heart palpitations
· Difficulty to sleep or staying asleep
· Stomach upset
· Dry mouth
· Fatigue & dizziness
· Chest pain
· Inability to concentrate
Similar to most other psychological disorders, anxiety is a bit tough to detect, especially since most of the symptoms are typical human reactions.
Natural home remedies Depression, Anxiety, Stress, Fatigue
Fennel calms the nerves and reduces anxiety and depression. Fennel seeds and oil contains volatile oils which gives anxiety-relieving effect. It also reduces a gastrointestinal symptom that often occurs with anxiety.
1. Drop down few drops of fennel essential oil on your handkerchief and inhale the smell of it for about 30-40 minutes. Repeat smelling after regular intervals as needed.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of fennel seed powder in your regular boiling tea and drink it 3 times a day.
Lavender has a soothing & calming effect on one’s nervous system. It stimulates relaxation and alleviates depression.
1. Take 2 cups of water and boil it. Take two to four drops of lavender (in the form of essential oil) and add it to the boiling water. Inhale this steam. Repeat as and when needed. This will ease anxiety.
2. Another method: Take a teaspoon of almond oil/ olive oil (or other base oil). Add three to four drops of lavender oil to this. Massage this oil onto your back, shoulders & neck. This can be repeated every day or few times ever week until anxiety subsides.
Almonds are rich sources of nutrients and omega-3 fatty acids which improves our mood and reduces anxiety, depression, tiredness and fatigue. omega-3 fatty acids has anti-inflammatory properties which fights cellular inflammation that breakdowns the signaling system between brain cells.
1. Soak 5-6 almonds in water overnight. In the next morning, remove the skin and grind them or crush them to form a paste. Mix this almond paste wth 1 tablespoon of ginger paste or powder in glass of warm milk. Do this on regular basis until you see desired improvement.
4. Green Tea
Green Tea or herbal tea is very beneficial in anxiety and depression treatment. It contains amino acid called L-theanine which maintains moderate level of heart rate and balanced blood pressure.
Matricaria Recutita is a compound chamomile contains. This helps one to calm down and eases anxiety. Some people suffer from mild to moderate Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Chamomile helps ease anxiety symptoms in such people. It also provides relaxation and makes one feel drosy as it has a mild tranquilizing affect.
1. Take two or three teaspoons of chamomile (dried ones - especially German chamomile) add this to a cup of hot water and let it remain for three to five minutes time. Now, strain it. If you prefer, you can add few drops of honey and even cinnamon to this. This mixture should be consumed few times per day for a month (can continue until there is an improvement in anxiety levels).
Oranges & orange peels have an enriching smell that calms one’s nerves. Apart from this, citrus aromas are said to chase away depression and improve immunity.
1. Just peel an orange and inhale the smell. It would make you feel better. You can also take few orange peels in a pan of water and let it boil. There will be a refreshing aroma emanating from the water. Inhale this aroma and you will feel your anxiety subside. This can be repeated as and when desired
2. Take a cup of orange juice (fresh) and mix it with a teaspoon of honey and a pinch of powdered nutmeg. Drink this mixture every day for a few weeks.
8. MassageRegular massages to neck, back, shoulders and feet can be seen as a good way to relax one’s body and to alleviate anxiety.
You can use warm oil of sesame or sunflower or coconut or corn for body massage. One should massage every day before bathing in the morning or before going to bed. This should be continued for few weeks. This can be made a regular routine for those who are easily prone to anxiety.
Rosemary has a constructive impact on memory and awareness. It also kindles circulation, calms down respiratory and digestive muscles.
1. Take one to two teaspoons of rosemary (dried). Put it in a cup of hot water and let it remain for around 10 minutes. Now, strain it. This, if consumed every day will ease anxiety.
2. You can also add some drops of rosemary (in the form of essential oil) in an aromatherapy diffuser or vaporizer.
10. Relaxing Bath
Taking a bath in hot water relaxes one’s body and mind and provides relief from stress & anxiety. Moreover, water is believed to be an excellent cleanser of aura.
1. Take 1/3 cup each of baking soda and ginger. Add this mixture to a bathtub of warm water. Soak yourself for around 10 - 15 minutes.
2. You can alternatively mix five or seven drops of any aromatherapy essential oil (lavender or chamomile or bergamot or geranium) to the warm water in a bathtub. This added with one ounce of other carrier oil such as jojoba oil will be good. Soak yourself in this water for around 15 - 20 minutes.
Nutmeg, an aromatic spice, gives relaxation to one’s mind & body, fights against depression and it is also an excellent muscle relaxant and it helps to improve the quality of sleep. So, one can use this as a remedy against anxiety, depression & stress.
You can inhale the aroma of nutmeg oil. This will help boost your mood and also decrease brain exhaustion. Nutmeg can also be added to regular food. Add nutmeg powder (1/4th of a teaspoon) to the food you eat regularly.
Warning! Extreme usage of nutmeg is highly not recommended, particularly for those who suffer from any psychiatric conditions.
12. Lemon Balm
Lemon balm has been used for many years in order to ease anxiety, improve appetite and sleep quality.
1. Take a teaspoon of lemon balm (dried) and mix it in hot water. Let it remain for 10 - 15 minutes. The tea pot should be covered for retaining the aromatic oil – otherwise the aroma will escape. You should drink this mix for few weeks at night time - before going to bed.
2. You should not consume this for more than two weeks in a row.